From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-30 17:17:28

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:52:50 +0100, Daniel James
<daniel_james_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>Can't you deal with these by first replacing all the instances of a
>single regular expression that matches both strings and comments[...]?

Everything can be done. After all, the editor I'm currently using has
no doubts in syntax coloring any of the indicated situations and does
it correctly. And it is far from being a sophisticated editor. The
issue is, quite frankly, that we have probably done already too much
to cope with the problem. If each library author had dealt with
problems reported in his own libraries *only* then everything would
already be solved. So the question arises spontaneously: why should I,
or Rene, undertake what begins to be a project just to "cope with"
(fight?) others' disinterest?

PS: sorry for being harsh, this isn't addressed in any way to you, of
course (unless you are one of those authors and I haven't noticed
;-)).

--
[ Gennaro Prota, C++ developer for hire ]