From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-04 13:40:22

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:33:30 +0100, "Paul A Bristow"
<pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>IMO, it does NOT require IEEE754 - it only requires
>numeric_limits<T>::digits to be correct for that type T.
>
>So, it works for NTL quad_float which is NOT IEEE754.

That's what I was wishing to hear :-)

>| As to the docs, this is what I would add. Feedback welcome.
>|
>| lexical_cast<> offers the following guarantees: [...]
>|
>Well in principle yes, but the C++ Standard is not clear if the second is
>REQUIRED, or is just a Good Quality Implementation.

Hmm... what about "lexical_cast<> requires a good quality
implementation"? ;-) Seriously, I'll take some time for writing good
unit tests, so that we can have a clear view of what happens.

This looks like a very sound addition to me. If it proves so in
practice I guess Beman can add it to the standard proposal.

--
[ Gennaro Prota, C++ developer for hire ]