From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-20 07:02:59

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

this article is obsolete and does not refer to any current version of Windows.
Any national characters can be used in a filename. For details see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/fileio/fs/naming_a_file.asp

> with a question mark or asterisk. Also, the implementation seems to
> attempt to validate any name unless it has these characters whereas it
> could use a "valid list" like the unix implementation does.

there is no "valid list" on current versions of Windows. There is only a small
number of characters that cannot be used in filenames and that's it. The
article you are refering to does not apply to current versions of Windows.

> "CreateFile(filename, GENERIC_READ, 0, NULL,

... and trigger implicit conversions from some random 8-bit codepage to
internal Unicode representation? I'd much more prefer if programmers use
directly Unicode variants of Windows API (eg. CreateFileW ), or at least be
aware of conversions they DO NOT control taking place.

B.