From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-20 09:09:17

On 2006-08-20, Matthias Troyer <troyer_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2006, at 2:04 PM, Andy Little wrote:
> > I was taught at school to do dimensional analysis checks manually.
> > For example
> > force = mass * acceleration;
> > M = mass
> > L = length
> > T = time;
> > force == M * L / T^2
> > acceleration = L/T^2
> > Therefore (M* L/T^2) = (M) * ( L/ T^2)
> > In this case its just dimensional math, no value is involved.
> This is just a check of units. I would prefer calling them units and
> not quantities

Nope, it's a check of dimensionality, not units.

A check of units would be one that found an error in:
    m/s = ft/min

The difference between units and dimensionality incorrectness
is that units can be converted (if they are compatible). They
are (sometimes) compatible when their dimensionality is the same.

If your dimensionality is incorrect, you are screwed.

phil, back to my rock to hide under

--
change name before "@" to "phil" for email