From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-21 23:11:16

Jan Stetka wrote:
> The only fix I can see that solves a problem I have seen in the Visual
> C++ IDE:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824580/
>
> The IDE stops responding, something to do with the way the IDE 'knows'
> about classes i.e. member completion, tool tips over the code.
>
> I tend to use SCITE for editing code. I use the VC IDE only when I need
> to debug or find out what header something is in and to initially set up
> solutions. For the record I see no motivation for upgrading to VC8!

The C++ .Net functionality in Visual Studio 2002 or 2003 for doing
mixed-mode programming ( any C++ .net code which makes any call outside
of the .net framework, which includes the C++ standard library and Boost
among others, or uses unmanaged code in any way ) is totally broken.
Just look up the loader-lock bug at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/vcconMixedDLLLoadingProblem.asp.

That is cause enough for a C++ programmer who wishes to write .net
compliant programs to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 and VC8, where this
problem has finally been fixed. Of course if a C++ programmer is not
interested in doing C++ .net programming there may be little cause to
upgrade to VC8, but I believe the compiler has been improved somewhat
between VC7.1 and VC8 also.