From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-23 08:54:38

On 8/23/06, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <richard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> In message <20060823114655.GA18897_at_[hidden]> on Wed, 23 Aug 2006 04:46:55 -0700, Nathaniel Smith <njs_at_[hidden]> said:
>
> njs> so let's move on to door two... which is to give the calling
> njs> program enough information on whatever errors have occurred
> njs> that it can do its own error reporting.
>
> While I understand the expedience argument, I'm dubious about
> duplicating the error reporting of another package. It demands a
> level of synchronisation between two independent entities and is prone
> to mistakes or outright errors. The idea makes my skin crawl, to be
> honest.

Nevertheless, exceptions should always provide the caller a way to
obtain the relevant information because the message they include may
not always be appropriate (nor targetted to the end user). Also,
other than printing the message, you might need to handle this
information somehow in your code, so you need a way to access it.

(I know there is a page in the Boost site (?) that deals with exactly
this issue but I cannot find it now...)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/