From: Johan Nilsson (r.johan.nilsson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-25 02:03:12

Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> At the moment, some objects in the preliminary Boost.Process library
> are only constructed internally by the library. Examples of these
> include 'status' instances, created by calls to 'child::wait', and
> instances of 'child', created by 'launcher::start'. This is currently
> done by declaring friendship among the related classes (well, not
> exactly, but almost).
>
> I believe this is suboptimal because it prevents extensibility.
> Consider a user that wants to create his own Launcher implementation.
> His code is required to return a new 'child' object. But, oh! He
> cannot currently create it because the constructor is private and his
> launcher class is not a friend of the provided 'child'. Of course, he
> could implement his own 'child' -- and in turn implement his own
> 'status'. Ouch.

I was looking at the code below. Here the ctors are actually protected,
which makes them public in practice - just derive a new status class and off
you go. OTOH, if you use the status class by value it may be subject to
slicing anyway. Or is the "protected" just a simple typo?

> In order to solve this, I was now adding some free functions that call
> the appropriate constructors. This way, the class' constructor is
> kept private to avoid "accidental" creations from user code, but the
> user still has the ability to create such objects when he really wants
> to. For example:
>
> class status {
> protected:
> status(int flags);
> friend status create_status(int flags);
> };
>
> inline
> status
> create_status(int flags)
> {
> return status(flags);
> }
>
> The first thing I'm wondering is if this design approach makes sense
> or I should simply make the constructor public. No matter the answer,
> the following still applies.
>
> But then, there is a worse problem (which made me write this mail in
> the first place). Consider the child's constructor:
>
> class child {
> protected:
> child(handle_type h,
> detail::file_handle fhstdin,
> detail::file_handle fhstdout,
> detail::file_handle fhstderr);
> friend child create_child(handle_type h,
> detail::file_handle fhstdin,
> detail::file_handle fhstdout,
> detail::file_handle fhstderr);
> };
>
> So far so good: the create_child function can now be used by the
> user... except that... he now has to deal with the file_handle class
> which was kept completely private until now. So a couple of questions
> arise:
>
> 1) Should the user be allowed to construct these classes (for the
> reasons explained above)?

As I wrote earlier - it is already possible if the code above is correct.

> 2) If 1 is "yes", then file_handle (and any other class that appears
> in other create_* functions) needs to be made public. This exposes
> some classes that are not really about "process management" to the
> user, but maybe that is not a problem? Eventually these classes
> may end up being part of some other library that deals with
> low-level OS stuff (Boost.System?).

Having the file_handle class public helps when integrating with legacy
and/or platform-specific code. I haven't read all the docs, but I think
exposing both the process id and file_handle as e.g. native_process_handle
and native_file_handle would be a good thing. Note that this isn't about
allowing users to actually create e.g. an instance of 'child' -> just about
exposing the handles. Oh, and move them out of "detail", of course.

You can't possibly wrap all O/S functionality portably in your library, so
providing a way for the end user to at least access these values helps them
to use the portable code when possible, but still resort to non-portable
calls when there's no other way. For an example, under Win32 you'd perhaps
like to wait for a (Timer to expire _or_ data being available from the
childs stdout) - it would be much cleaner to be able to use the native
stdout handle in a call to WaitForMultipleObjects than some other approach.

Let the user write non-portable code when they _must_, while retaining the
possibility to take advantage of your library. IIRC there's precedence in
Boost.Asio.

Just my 0.02EUR.

// Johan