From: Paul Giaccone (paulg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-29 10:04:30

Jeff Garland wrote:
> ...dropping out of lurk mode for one comment...keeping in mind that I have not
> looked at the library or read a big chunk of this thread...
>
> I/O turns out to be something that is quite difficult to do well. There's
> plenty of issues like: support for wide streams, support for different domain
> contexts (eg: sometimes I want it to be 'm' and sometimes 'meters'),
> internationalization of number format, support for serialization. In
> date-time, there's probably more effort in I/O than any other single aspect of
> the library.

Um, just a thought... can we have a flag for Commonwealth/US spellings,
so that the user can choose whether to have "metres" and "litres" or
"meters" and "liters", rather than just assuming every speaks US English
(_pace_ our American cousins)? Here, "meters" are used for measuring all
sorts of things, but not length, and are also those things you put coins
in when you park... Recall that allowing the spellings "meter" and
"liter" was a concession made to the US (and some other countries where
this spelling is used), and so this spelling is a permitted variant, not
the standard spelling. Likewise for "deca-" versus "deka-", should this
prefix be part of the library.

Perhaps this can be done as part of the L10n of the library.

Thanks.

Paul