From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-14 10:47:15

On 9/14/06, Giovanni Piero Deretta <gpderetta_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> What do you exactly mean with web continuations? Is it session
> management done with coroutines instead of encoding state in session
> ids? I will see if i can come up with something. Ideas are wellcome.

The term is used when continuations are used to handle the app flow
in web forms. It's one of the most popular topics in advanced web
development !
Traditional session handling is done via session ids with cookies but it has
big
shortcomings when using back button or creating a new browser window plus
coding
the app flow is not as natural or elegant as it can be with web
continuations.
Web continuations handle the execution state not just the session state.

Some references below. The basic hello example is a calculator app or a
guessing game.
The pdf below provides a real world example (a shopping cart)

check section: Web Continuations revolutionizing webapp development
http://it.sun.com/eventi/jc05/pdf/2-ProNetics.pdf

Crossing borders: Continuations, Web development, and Java programming
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-cb03216/

Yield, Web Continuations!
Article shows how to emulate web continuation in .NET framework
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/YeildContinuations.asp