From: Damien Fisher (damienf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-17 21:08:20

On 9/18/06, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Note that the only reason for using __declspec on tis platform is
> that without it, programs compiled in release mode will optimize
> away code not explicitly referred to. This breaks serialization
> of derived pointers. So this is a hack to work around over-zealous
> compiler optimizaton. This has been learned through painful and
> time consuming experience. It is possible this solution is overkill
> in some cases, but there is no way to know without investing
> a lot more effort.

If you have the time, could you explain to me exactly what the problem
is (or show me a program highlighting the problem)? How can the code
be needed for serialization if it isn't actually "used" from the
compiler's point of view?

> I have no idea if the serialization library will work with /clr.
> My intuition tells me I doubt it. If I had to do this I would
> consider using SWIG which I have used in another context
> (not using serialization) to integrate Boost components into
> .NET languages.

It definitely won't if you use dllexport, but there shouldn't be any
reason why it can't work apart from that.