From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-18 10:06:12

Andriy Tylychko (mail.ru) wrote:

> 4. Looping threads.
> Proposed design is best-suited for "single-task" threads. You have a
> task
> and you'd like to do it in a separate thread. This task has a result,
> and proposed design accents this. It's can be specific enough, but
> most of my threads work in loop, taking messages from the queue or
> just "working" until client explicitly stops them, and so doesn't
> have any results. So why I should worry about this, where's an
> interface for me? :)

http://www.pdimov.com/cpp/future.cpp (referenced in N2096) has an example
called pooled_executor that does this. N2090 threads and N2094 threads have
no results; the result part is managed by N2096 futures (or N2094 tasks.)

N2090 and N2096 are my proposals, and N2094 is an alternative proposal from
Howard Hinnant.