From: Duft Markus (Markus.Duft_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-20 05:07:42

All i can talk of is my experience using interix, since i didn't use
cygwin that much. Cygwin was more or less dead at out company when i
came in. The yhad too much problems with the cygwin builds. Some of the
problems are, that the w32api for cygwin and mingw is not the *real*
w32api, but some own thing they built. I really don't know how this
w32api behaves, or if it has any drawbacks.
As for gdb, the version that comes with interix 3.5 is from
i-don't-know-when (seems like year 2k or something), so many years old.
Maybe newer versions would work better. Debugging C code is not a
problem, everything works fine there, but never try to debug C++, you'll
get 10 lines far or so (until first using a STL string.....) ;o)
As of the import/export problems with MS, wgcc really does a lot in this
direction, one can say most of it's code is just for those problems. And
i think it manages to push things in the right direction. One has to
_only_ put __declspec(dllimport) in place where needed, and that _only_
for Data symbols. There is no need to differenciate static and shared
libraries, just put the import everywhere ;o) wgcc manages the rest.