From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-20 06:58:55

Anthony Williams wrote:
[...]
> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Anthony Williams wrote:

> >> Not necessarily. Both A and B will wait for the semaphore. If A is higher
> >
> > Suppose that B is already waiting on the semaphore. If that is not the
> > case, you'll get the same "starvation" scenario as with more efficient
> > lock but with added overhead of self consuming semaphore signal.
> >
> > [...]
> >> What if B is higher priority than A?
> >
> > Then A will yield to B (waiting for the semaphore) on unlock/slow-path
> > (efficient lock) and B will grab the lock (freed by A prior to
> > signaling).
>
> You are assuming that B will wake immediately upon A's release of the

I'm assuming that A and B are in the same scheduling allocation domain
of size 1 (i.e. they compete for the processor cycles and can't make
progress in parallel). POSIX defines neither cross-domain scheduling
policy nor scheduling policy for domains of size > 1. Note that with
scheduling allocation domain higher than 1, you also wouldn't want to
hand ownership to the highest priority waiter because there might be
any number of threads of higher priority than that waiter, any of
which might want the lock "right now" (before unblocked thread is
scheduled to run). So you just need to unblock and let unblocked
thread compete for lock ownership without handoff. It is lack of
competition for lock ownership after waiting that is the problem.

regards,
alexander.