From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-25 20:09:51

"Joel de Guzman" <joel_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> You mean: fusion should not copy the compile time behavior at runtime?
> Hmmm... but of course it does not. Let me get this straight: push_back
> *IS* cheap. It is the unfolding (iterating over) the push-backed view
> that is less than ideal. This can be made efficient by segmented
> techniques.

Yes It is the construction of a joint_view with N+1 elements from a joint view
with N elements. The compiler (VC8) seemed to be copying the stuff from the
first to the second, and so on for each bigger iteration of joint view right up
to the 16 element version. I don't think it would see much of what it had
originally once it had got through all that copying, but It would need better
analysis than I gave to say for sure, but there seemed to be quite a few traces
of calls to joint view ctors in the final output, and I didnt like the look of
it.

regards
Andy Little