From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-28 22:54:45

On Sep 28, 2006, at 9:15 PM, Andy Little wrote:
> For that reason I think the tutorial example is way too complicated:
> [snip example]

Yeah, you're probably right. In my talks, I start with much simpler
examples. *sigh* I should probably write a new, improved tutorial in
the near future, because we've gotten a lot better at describing
concepts in the past six months.

> Secondly, the way templates currently work is firmly entrenched in
> my brain.
> Currently they work most of the time, with any old junk that you
> throw at them.
> Maybe you need to stress that although the syntax is similar, that
> once you
> include Concept features that your template parameters are suddenly
> imbued with
> a much different character. This relates a lot to the first point;
> If it doesnt
> work then (often wrongly but nevertheless... )suspect the compiler.

Understood.

> I love it ! trouble is there is a lot going on in C++ at the
> moment, so there is
> no way I am going to master all this for a while.

None of us can. As we start to get implementations of these features,
we'll start to discover all of the interesting tricks, techniques,
and (of course) pitfalls. But the earlier we start playing with the
features, the better we can avoid the pitfalls :)

        Doug