From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-29 05:33:51

David Abrahams wrote:
> Another guideline that we don't check for, and maybe we never wrote down:
> all files containing C++ source code should have a 3-letter extension
> ending in "pp". This decision dates back to the earliest days of
> Boost, when Nico Josuttis was still a heavy player here (it was his
> idea, and a good one -- it makes searching through C++ source files
> much easier).
>
> So please, no ".inl" files. If you really must use a separate file
> for inline implementation, use ".ipp"

Thank you. I didn't know this.

>> to instruct the inspect tool to skip.
>
> Yeah, but be really careful, because there are only a few good ways
> to use an unnamed namespace in a header.

To be honest, I do not have the time at the moment to study this issue
in detail. (Altough I am aware of the ODR.) The inline files date back
to Bill Kempfs original thread implementation. Since everything works
I just thought to omit this warning. It is mainly guarding inline
function definitions. I will take care of this in the thread_rewrite.
I do not want to make (possibly large) changes for the 1.34. But if
you think it is better to leave the warning turned on for the time
beeing, I'll revert.

BTW.: a "fix" like the following I think will not be caught by inspect,
while still potentially being able to violate ODR.

namespace {
#include <boost/foo.ipp>
}

True?