From: Tomas Pecholt (pecholt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-30 10:01:24

I have seen your example and source and recognize your contribution
already now. Especially I like the constructor which converts between
various types of unicode strings. It is also nice you try to mimic
basic_string interface. However it isn't basic_string and it means it is
isolated from the rest of standard library. In perfect world I would
expect to read/write utf_strings from std::streams in the same way it is
provided for std::string i.e. all the operations like operator>>,
getline and so on should be usable on utf_strings. But these rely on
specializing char_traits, codecvt and other locale facets so I Am afraid
to achieve this it is necessary to write it the way the standard does.
So in this area I basicaly identify with Matt Austern's proposal for the
C++0x (
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2035.pdf ). Of
course there is also necessary to provide utf32 access for each
utf_string specialization (effectively implemented through iterators)
which is missing there and which your implementation already has.

Best Regards
Tomas