From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-02 10:12:01

On Oct 1, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Once a feature makes it into the working paper (WP), there is less
> risk
> involved. As the WP stabilizes (no new features being added, all work
> directed at finishing), the risk is much lower. But to do much more
> than
> experiment with a new feature before it even gets voted into the WP is
> asking for trouble, IMO.

Sure, but you can never experiment too much with a feature before it
goes into the working paper, and we've learned that many features
that look great in small examples---say, ADL---can cause big problems
in the wild. We should encourage experimentation as much as possible.
If it means setting up a regression tester with, e.g., the variadic
templates compiler, we should do it.

But, let's keep the uses of these new features safely tucked behind
macros or in separate header files. We're not going to guarantee
anything about their continued use until they're firm in the WP.

        Doug