From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-06 17:51:12

Andy Little wrote:

> Heres another example, of a field representing streamlines round a cylinder:
>
> http://www.servocomm.freeserve.co.uk/Cpp/pqs-2-00-02/whats_next.html
>
> Now presumably I could combine the locator with some function as in the
> mandelbrot example to find out the state of the streamlines at any point in the
> flow. Presumably the locator could also be extended to 3D.

Andy, if I read that example correctly '2D coordinates' there are meant to
represent some physical dimensions, while here we are talking about a way to
index an n-dimensional raster. That's quite a different world.

FWIW, I believe the same reasoning can be applied to the color-space discussion.
While I think a good library to deal with color spaces and transformations between
them would be nice, that is a different domain than how colors are represented
essentially as bit-fields in pixels.

You were proposing not to lump independent concepts / domains together, so let's
keep them separate ! ;-)

Regards,
                Stefan