From: Anthony Williams (anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-08 05:29:27

Hi Cory,

Thanks for your feedback.

"Cory Nelson" <phrosty_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 10/5/06, Anthony Williams <anthony_w.geo_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I have revamped the code on the threads_rewrite branch for the mutex and
>> read_write_mutex.
>>
>> The read_write_mutex code is based on ideas from the code offered by Peter
>> Dimov and Cory Nelson. However, I have extended it to include upgradeable
>> locks, and more closely mirror the interface proposed in the C++ Standard
>> threading proposal N2094. At the moment it does not support try_ or timed_
>> variants. The code can be seen in CVS at
>> boost/thread/win32/read_write_mutex.hpp on the thread_rewrite branch, or in
>> the CVS web viewer at
>>
>> http://boost.cvs.sourceforge.net/boost/boost/boost/thread/win32/read_write_mutex.hpp?revision=1.1.2.6&view=markup&pathrev=thread_rewrite
>>
>> In all cases, the code tries to change state using compare-and-swap
>> instructions. If the current state is blocking the state change (e.g. there is
>> already a writer when we try to lock a reader), then the lock blocks on one of
>> three win32 Event objects. The shared event is a manual reset event, so once
>> readers are allowed access, they are all freed until a thread obtains an
>> exclusive lock and resets the event. There is a limit on how many threads can
>> have a shared/upgradeable lock (0x1fff), and how many can be waiting for a
>> write lock (0xfff). Given the nature of read-write mutexes, this could easily
>> be adjusted to allow more shared locks, and fewer waiting writers.
>
> I've just looked the reader-writer lock over, and while it generally
> seems "usable" to me, I've got a few nitpicks:
>
> 1) This seems like a real big general-purpose class that goes against
> the C++ism of not paying for what you aren't going to use. Creating
> three events (these are kernel objects) for each lock makes it a
> rather heavy instance - I feel like using of a lot of them for
> fine-grained locking won't be realistic. Given that the need to
> upgrade a lock is uncommon and usually easily worked around, and the
> ease a user can cause deadlock when upgrading, would you consider a
> separate lightweight non-upgradeable class to go alongside it?

I would certainly think it worth having multiple mutexes supporting various
levels of locking. Howard's proposal (N2094, see
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2094.html) has 4
levels --- simple mutex, mutex with shared/exclusive locks, mutex with
shared/exclusive locks where the shared ones can "try" to convert to an
exclusive lock, and mutex with shared/exclusive/upgradeable locks. This is an
implementation of the latter, since I deemed it the hardest to get right.

> 2) It doesn't spin at all - giving an app a chance to stay away from
> WaitForSingleObject on multithreaded systems will be a good boost to
> scalability under typical use. Win32 critical sections have a default
> spin count of 4000 on multithreaded systems. With multi-core getting
> more and more common I think this is an important aspect to consider.

Yes, it's worth considering. I would be intrigued to see what difference it
made. I have a dual-core system and a single-core system, so I could see how
it performed on both with/without spinning. Any ideas for how to construct a
benchmark?

> 3) I don't like the lock(), unlock() etc member functions being
> public.. forcing scoped_lock is a great cheap idiom for exception
> safety and saving people from deadlocks. Even with scoped_lock also
> available - it isn't something found in other languages so I fear new
> developers will flock to using the simpler and more familiar public
> members instead.

Howard's proposal has them as public members, so that's what I implemented.

I can see the arguments both ways. Making the functions private is
easy, and what boost does already.

There are certainly use cases where pure scoped locks get in the way.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Software Developer