From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-08 17:34:57

Edward Diener wrote:

> Is that your argument ?

My argument is really a question:

Given a library for which there exists a free reference implmentation in
terms of
legal C++ language syntax, what value is gained by adding it to some
standard?

If there value, is it worth the cost?

OK two questions.

So far, I'm thinking the answers are: very little, and no.

> I think that you want the C++ standard committee in b) ii) to provide a
> reference implementation of the library for all compiler vendors to
> use.

Actually what I'm thinking is the following.

a) Some smart guys creat a library like Regex or a set of libraries
like Boost.

b) the librar(ies) are free and work with all compilers which
correctly implement the C++ language.

c) Compiler vendors wanting to sell more programs, Advertise on the box
"Compiles all legal C++ programs - including all Boost Libraries"
and they spend their efforts fullfiling that claim.

d) C++ commitee invests its efforts in clarifying issues which inhibit
compiler vendors from fullfilling c).

I'm not sure there is a huge argument here. Some compiler vendors
are already advertising "boost compatible" on the box. I've noticed
at least one poster on the developer's list working to make his companies
compiler specifically compliant to be able to build boost and pass
all tests. I personally got a call from borland asking me if I wanted
any help (Damn - I wish I hadn't thrown away that message!).

Adding something to the standard isn't going to change that one way or the
other.

> I think that you want the C++ standard committee in b) ii) to provide a
> reference implementation of the library for all compiler vendors to
> use.

My concern is that the emphasis on making the standard include more
and more libraries provides relatively little value in comparison to
the effort invest and that resources would be better invested in
other areas which I mentioned previously.

Robert Ramey