From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-08 22:51:09

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> for Regex (and other libraries as well of course), we already have
>> b) above - so what's the point "adding it to the standard" - which
>> seems to me a lot of work for very little practical benefit.
>
> There are lots of people who don't have permission to use any
> libraries that aren't either standard or shipped by Microsoft.

Yeah, I concur with that. In my experience, there's still alot of folks that
can't use Boost because they are basically required to *buy* the things they
use for development or for some other legal reasons I could never understand.
  Personally I think it's silly, but executives tend to put the lawyers
concerns above developer convenience. So putting something in the standard
opens the door to a whole world of developers that won't have access otherwise.

Also, stuff in the standard will have training courses, books, and other
resources that will not be devoted to many or most Boost libraries. While I
realize there are companies that provide Boost training and a few Boost
related books....many, many more will provide training on the standard libs.

Jeff