From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-09 04:31:57

>From Janek Kozicki:
> So I think that this should be the goal to pursue if we want to add
> an extensions/plugin library into boost.
>
> Think of it. With two separate libraries (one for serialization
> and one for plugins) the user will have to register each class twice.
> Serialization already registers classes with GUID (Global Unique
> IDentifier) so plugins/extensions library should take advantage of
> that.

I'm not convinced. It seems to me that the registration for plugins and
for serialization is rather different.

Serialization:
- When you see this GUID, this is how to create the class.

Plugins:
- This is another object with an IFoo interface.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by plugin, but I think of
something like Internet Explorer, or Photoshop, where the application
has a bunch of IFoo pointers, and it iterates through all of them to
extend its menu. When the menu is clicked it calls the appropriate
function through the IFoo pointer.

I don't really see how the two relate.

--
Martin Bonner