From: shams (shams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-12 20:51:58

Fyi all, here is just a few queries that I ran thru Google regarding std::string
and some of the things that developers are looking for frequently.

http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+mfc
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+qt
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+uppercase
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+lowercase
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+trim
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+format
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+replace
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+remove
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups/search?hl=en&q=c%2B%2B+std+string+regex

We all know that Boost is made up of high quality and technically challenging
libraries but how would it hurt having something like super_string as part of it?

Something like this might? not ever make it into Standard C++ (because of all
the politics involved?) but why should it be stopped from being part of Boost?

Is this why Java, C#, MFC, ATL etc. just so much used by a lot of programmers,
string classes with required functionality offered right out of the box?

I am sure Jeff would be happy to improve the interface based on feedback (which
we can see he has already done so quite well in the past with his other work and
also this one) and his response his also great.

Why should something like trimming, uppercasing, lowercasing should be so hard in
C++. I think its good enough to have this kind of basic high level wrapper
around string_algo, regex, format etc. Plus it integrates well with existing code
and std::basic_string. Jeff has seemed to explain these rationals quite well in his
documentation for this library.

See:
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/libraries/super_string/index.html

Overall I think this library will be a good addition to Boost because it has some of
the most wanted features of strings. I am sure that having it as part of Boost would
be of interest to a lot of developers because they will know it is likely to be portable,
definately well tested and available from a single source.

The thing is that if you don't want to use it then dont, but atleast these string functionalities should be available with ease for all including novices and experianced programmers. Something like super_string in Boost could be received quite well by the boosters community and could increase popularity of Boost even between novice and experianced developers. We should be attracting people to C++ NOT distracting.

Thanks
Shams