From: Lubomir Bourdev (lbourdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-13 14:35:50

Joel de Guzman wrote:
>Lubomir Bourdev wrote:
> >> Is there a comparison with Anti-Grain? IIRC it also was
> > representation
> >> independent.
> >>
> >> Bruno
> >>

> > Question for Bruno (or anyone familiar with Anti-Grain):
>
> IMO, Anti-grain and GIL serves different purposes. Anti-grain
> (http://www.antigrain.com/) is more about vector graphics
> while GIL is about Image manipulation and pixel data representations.
> While there is some overlap, of course, I think it's unwise
> to compare apples and oranges. IMO, these libraries
> complement each other rather than compete with each other.

Joel:

We totally agree with you. We looked again at AGG. It is very, very
nice, and in many ways complementary to GIL.
However, I felt obliged to respond because people are asking for
comparison and one reviewer already
voted for rejecting GIL, in part because "Anti-Grain is richer".

It would be really nice if you (or another AGG fan?), being familiar
with AGG, look into and perhaps post an example showing how GIL could
work with AGG. For example, how do we draw a line directly inside a GIL
view.
It doesn't have to be a fully-generic view. Let's start with something
simple like:

void draw_line(const rgb8_view_t& view, int x0, int y0, int x1, int y1)
{
   // AGG magic here.
}

You can get the dimensions, stride and pointer to pixels of a GIL view.
Can you make a shallow AGG rendering buffer from them and draw a line
into it?

The next question is, can we make draw_line more generic, and how much
more generic (i.e. what kinds of images are possible)

Thanks,
Lubomir