From: Brian Makin (merimus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-13 18:07:46

> > From: Doug Gregor <dgregor_at_[hidden]>
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:35:24 -0400
> Subject: Re: [boost] bgl subgraphs
>

> On Oct 11, 2006, at 9:57 AM, Brian Makin wrote:
>

> > With respect to boost graph library.
> >
> > Is anyone using subgraphs?
>
> I've used them occasionally.
>
> > What are they being used for?
>
> The last time I used them, it was to split a graph
> up into subgraphs,
> each of which was a strongly-connected component of
> the full graph.

This could be covered by multi-level graphs. This is
where ever vertex in the graph is mapped to a smaller
set of vertices in a secondary graph. Like an induced
subgraph in BGL that includes ever vertex.

> > Is there functionality which is needed wrt
> subgraphs?
>
> New functionality for subgraphs? I'd love to see a
> subgraph-like
> adaptor that allowed one to create non-induced
> subgraphs, e.g., by
> allowing the user to add/remove any edges and
> vertices from the
> subgraph arbitrarily.
>
> (The current subgraph is an induced subgraph: you
> state what vertices
> you're interested in, and the all of the edges among
> those vertices
> get added automatically).

I certainly want to support multi-level graphs, as
described above.
Concidering allowing clustering. ie: collapse a group
of vertices into a single vertex with a subgraph below
it.

Those two are really related. It shouldn't be
difficult to support modification of the resultant
graphs.

Out of curiosity, what were you modeling?