From: Atanassov Tervel-PT1672 (PT1672_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-16 03:06:59

I work for a Motorola biometrics unit. Our core business is fingerprint
images: extracting minutia, cleaning them up, etc. I work in the
infrastructure part of things, so I don't interact with image processing
on a regular basis. A few months back a colleague of mine was tasked
with finding a good library to base our future image processing
development. After some review of the available libraries, he
recommended GIL. His main reasons was the very good idea of view/image
separation; the establishing a lightweight bounds checker/accessor to
the image's pixels. I decided to review the library myself and found it
to be very intuitive. As I mentioned earlier I work more in the
business process/infrastructure side of things, so this was my first
serious interaction with image processing. As a learning project, I
decided to implement a few functions to get acquainted with the concepts
of both GIL and the image processing. Within a week and a half of
reading wikipedia and looking at GIL, I ended up implementing a
convolution view. I enjoyed working with and learning from GIL; it is
definitely a well thought out library. We will be using it for our
needs.

Tervel Atanassov