From: Lubomir Bourdev (lbourdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-17 01:21:43

Hi Tim,

We don't recommend that you treat half as compatible with bits8.

In general, GIL does not allow standard copying using copy_pixels,
operator=, etc. between pixels that are incompatible. For pixels to be
compatible they must have the same base color space and channel types.
(See PixelsCompatibleConcept)
In other words, you must be able to convert back and forth between them
with no loss of precision.

In your case you want to perform a lossy conversion between half and
bits8. You have to do it via color conversion, which is allowed to be
lossy.
To do that you must make half model ChannelConvertibleConcept. Here is
how to do what you want:

namespace gil {
template <>
inline bits8 _channel_convert<bits8>(half h) { return bits8(h*255); }
}

boost::function_requires<ChannelConvertibleConcept<half,bits32f> >();
rgb16f_image_t a(100, 100);
rgb8_image_t b(100, 100);
copy_and_convert_pixels(const_view(a), view(b));

Lubomir