From: Ullrich Koethe (koethe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-17 20:39:59

Joel de Guzman wrote:
> Lubomir Bourdev wrote:
>

>>This is why in GIL we allow the type of the result to be specified
>>explicitly upon invoking the operation. Promotion traits can at best be
>>useful for a reasonable default, but even then we feel that they belong
>>in boost::type_traits and not in an image library, as the problem
>>generalizes beyond images.
>

> I agree. I am not quite fond of monolithic libraries that do everything.
> Promotion traits and clamping, for example, can also be useful for, say,
> signal processing of audio, among other things.

True. But on the other hand, one has to control the number of external
dependencies -- if a potential user must install 5 or 10 other libraries
first, he might quickly loose interest.

In image processing, one wants at least libjpeg, libtiff, libpng (which in
turn requires zlib), perhaps a fourier transform library, possibly boost,
a linear algebra library (for warping and curve fitting), a GUI library
(which often already comes with incompatible image import/export
functionality) and so on -- there is certainly a trade-off between
internal and external solutions. Of course, there are platforms where
installation is easy, but you want to be general.

Regards
Ulli

| Ullrich Koethe  Universitaet Hamburg / University of Hamburg   |
|                 FB Informatik        / Dept. of Informatics    |
|                 AB Kognitive Systeme / Cognitive Systems Group |
| Phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2573                Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30 |
| Fax:   +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D - 22527 Hamburg   |
| Email: u.koethe_at_[hidden]               Germany             |
|        koethe_at_[hidden]                        |
| WWW:   http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/      |