From: Ullrich Koethe (koethe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-18 15:35:26

Hi Lubomir,

thanks for the long reply. I really appreciate this. I think we have both
made our points clear. Now I'd like to hear the opinion of others...

> And finally, DataAccessor is an interesting idea worthy of
> investigation, but it spans beyond images. The right way to approach
> this, in my opinion, is to try to make the case for DataAccessors as an
> addition to the standard. If DataAccessors are accepted, lots of my
> objections will no longer hold.

Exactly. But my favourite solution would be to extend the language so that
one could implement separate lvalue and rvalue versions of operator* and
operator[] (similar to the pre- and postfix increment operator). But I
don't know whether this is possible, especially considering backward
compatibility.

Best regards
Ulli

| Ullrich Koethe  Universitaet Hamburg / University of Hamburg   |
|                 FB Informatik        / Dept. of Informatics    |
|                 AB Kognitive Systeme / Cognitive Systems Group |
| Phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2573                Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30 |
| Fax:   +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D - 22527 Hamburg   |
| Email: u.koethe_at_[hidden]               Germany             |
|        koethe_at_[hidden]                        |
| WWW:   http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/      |