From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-18 18:58:54

Ullrich Koethe wrote:
> Lubomir Bourdev wrote:

> Three things come to mind:
> - many more type conversions; e.g. int8 => uint16; RGB <=> LAB etc.
> - adaptors for the subsampled image view
> - support for multi-dimensional images (e.g. volume data, image sequences)
>
> Another important point are RGBA operations. In most cases, the alpha
> channel is to be treated differently from the other channels, so you
> can't just use component-wise operators as for the other color models.

Yes! This was the point I was trying to make with Lubomir off list.
I was stressing that with HSL/HSB too, you don't want to do
component-wise operations. Yes, I'd like to see more color operations.

> VIGRA doesn't have an explicit RGBA type (TinyVector<T, 4> can be used
> instead), because so far no-one came up with a convincing proposal for
> these operations. But without them, RGBA is pretty useless.
>
> I don't think any of this is a show stopper, but it means considerable
> work.

Agreed.

Hmmm... TinyVector<T, 4>... I think VIGRA should use Fusion for
that instead ;-)

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman