From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-20 12:00:22

Roland Schwarz wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Debatable. Claiming copyright for a redirection file seems of
>> questionable legality to me.
>
> If you do not put the copyright into the file, the file automatically
> is copyrighted to the writer of the file.

Only if it constitutes an original work. If I create a file with an exact
copy of something you wrote, I do not and cannot automatically obtain
copyright on it. I need to introduce non-trivial original changes in order
to be able to claim copyright on them. If the only thing I introduce is a
copyright line that pronounces that I'm the author, I would definitely be on
shaky moral and legal ground.