From: koethe_at_[hidden]
Date: 2006-10-20 18:59:07

Quoting Thorsten Behrens <th.behrens_at_[hidden]>:

> Then, Vigra & AGG...
>
> From how it appears to me (and what you and others stated), GIL's
> selling points are currently pixel and image view abstractions, not so
> much the actual algorithms. As a user, I don't have too much use for
> that, I'm more interested in turn-key solutions like a Canny edge
> detector, or in filtered image transformations (likewise, I'm a user of
> Spirit, not so much of MPL). Thus, I feel it's crucial that, supposed
> GIL is accepted into boost, it gets a set of common algorithms soon.
> Luckily, Vigra was also offered to boost, and you and Ulli have
> proof-of-concept code how to integrate them. I'd therefore really like
> to see Vigra's algorithmic half in boost, too.
>
> Ulli, do you think that's feasible?

Yes, images alone are not of much use. I have been thinking about
integration possibilities during the last week. We should try to come
up with an evolutionary path to integrate things. For now,
DataAccessor and PixelDereferenceAdaptors can happily live together
(you can apply an accessor to an adaptor, no problem). In the long
run, I´d like to apply some lessons learned from VIGRA. For example, I
would like a design that can be extended naturally to 3-dimensional
and higher dimensional images (a lot of algorithm reuse is possible
accross dimensions, if it is done right).

Best regards
Ulli

PS. I´ll be away for a week and cannot follow the discussion closely.