From: Chris Thomasson (cristom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-24 11:17:39

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Chris Thomasson wrote:
>> Here is the initial experimental pseudo-code that I am thinking about
>> prototyping in IA-32 Assembly:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/browse_frm/thread/5ffb0ed46a4bcb4b
>
> Seems like it can work.

It sure does.

> Don't you only need one bit for writes though?

Yup. That would free up a bunch of extra space... I guess I could use it to
hold more readers.

> I have one at
>
> http://pdimov.com/cpp/rw_mutex.cpp
>
> but your version is better. I see no need for assembly however.

I kind of like prototyping lock-free algorithms in assembly language because
it helps to address stuff like this:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/a8d7067bc1425ae1

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/0afc1109d18c2991

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/fd3b4b5a5cd7841e

I get a little paranoid about that sometimes...

;^)

I think I will go ahead and fully implement this and post it here shortly...

Thanks for your comments.