From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-24 21:32:30

Jose wrote:

> Yes, Btree as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-tree
> I think a Btree would be a nice addition to Boost.
>
> I am looking for a generic B-tree that I can use to store any C++ object,
> with variable length key and data fields

I considered submitting a Boost B-tree a long time ago, and did a trial
implementation. But I ran into a lot of issues, so scraped it.

At the beginning of the past summer I looked at B-trees again, this time
using the Lehman and Yao locking algorithm. It looks doable, but would
take more time than I have available.

I also came to the conclusion that C++0x Concepts would be a great help
in the design. There are a bunch of types involved, and I was having a
trouble getting the interrelationships right. With Concepts, the
compiler will tell me if I mess up, speeding the development process.

Because my interest is high performance B-trees with binary data formats
portable to any system (regardless of compiler, endianness, alignment,
or other constraints), I was not trying to handle any random C++ object.
I was, however, designing in the ability to handle variable length key
and data fields.

If you have experience implementing C++ B-trees and are interested in
submitting something to Boost, I'd like to hear you ideas.

--Beman