From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-27 03:22:04

Chris Thomasson wrote:

> ... I understand that Boost has a problem with it's current
> rw-mutex?

While being very glad, that a lot of valuable discussion is
taking place to provide a working rw-mutex, I am missing an
answer to an urgent question:

What shall be done about 1.34?

Whichever rw-mutex we will adopt, this likely will not happen
before 1.35.

Since I did not have the time to study the proposed algorithms,
I am currently only in the role of the cleaning crew, to get
Boost.Thread ready for 1.34.

Since I did not find a summary and final outcome of the discussion,
I'll restate my question (as beeing asked by the release manager):

Shall we drop rw-mutex (including doc) from 1.34?
This also has been done in 1.33 already, to avoid exposing the
user from a known broken implementation.

As an option we could
1) leave the broken rw mutex in the 1.34, but put a big fat warning
2) provide a new algorithm, also with a warning.

1) doesn't sound very attractive, 2) possibly will delay 1.34
release date even further.

Please give me your feedback.

Roland
(aka. speedsnail)