From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-30 17:29:15

Oleg Abrosimov wrote:
> Hello Sebastian,
> let me share my ideas inspired by your post.
>
> First of all, I'm confused why there is the 'event' term is used if one
> needs to call 'next' method to get the next one?
Because that's what descriptions of similar interfaces use. I'm
personally not very happy about the word. "Token", which Stefan Seefeld
just used, seems more appropriate.
> It looks like this is a
> good word here though, but it should be used more sequentially.
> In a current installment you can safely omit this word and think of your
> XMLReader as a
>
> std::copy(std::input_iterator<XMLObject>(std::cin),
> std::input_iterator<XMLObject>(), MyIteratorAdapterForXMLObject());

No, I should not.
Please don't get me wrong. My high-level plan for this library is to
provide more than one interface. I want a "pull" interface that I'm
designing right now, and which this thread is about. I want a "push"
interface akin to SAX, which is what you're thinking about. So yes,
there will be such an interface, but this thread is not about it. And
finally, there will be one or more object model interfaces, like DOM.

Thank you for your ideas, though. I will think about them when the time
comes to design the push interface.

Sebastian Redl