From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-20 17:12:44
David Abrahams wrote:
> ... Why don't you try the instructions and see if they work
> for you? Where they fail, we'll have to fix something.
My findings so far:
1) bjam --v2 switch still necessary (I tried in the HEAD)
2) toolset=msvc builds e.g. boost_thread-vc-mt-gd-1_35.lib, i.e.
no toolset version
3) toolset=gcc chooses the compiler which is closer in PATH.
If you think this is reasonable enough, there is no need
for action. I'd suggest to possibly mention it in the doc.
I suspect msvc auto toolset choice is different, isn't it?
This will choose the newer, not the "closer in PATH" one,
4) For gcc I get a lot of
warning: Unable to construct ./stage-unversioned
5) It is possible to "invent" arbitrary toolset versions.
e.g. it is possible to bjam --v2 --toolset=gcc-17.4 which
results e.g. in boost_thread-gcc174-mt-d-1_35.dll.
Don't know if this is expected, In particular I don't know
which compiler really is getting used here (I suspect
again the closer one in PATH)
6) Something similar is possible with msvc, but it does not
compile, instead it gives you a _lot_ of error messages.
I'd expected a simple message that the toolset isn't
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk