From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-05 11:06:04

Vladimir Prus ha escrito:

> The test fails with:
>
> test_reset_object_address.cpp
> ..\boost\archive\detail\oserializer.hpp(533)
> : fatal error C1204: compiler limit : internal structure overflow
>
> See: http://tinyurl.com/wrtu2
>
> Does this sound to any MSVC guru as an easily workaroundable issue? Note
> that this is regression -- the test appears to have worked in previous
> version of the library.

This is just the compiler giving up because the complexity of the code
reaches some internal threshold. The limitation can be circumvented by splitting
the .cpp into smaller translation units, but given the small relevance of the
problematic compiler, this is probably not worth doing here.

> But given that 7.0 is some transitional version, there's no point spending
> *too* much cycles in this. Unless a workaround is found by the end of this
> week, I'll mark this failure as expected.

When you mark it please note that the tested functionality (reset_object_address)
*does* work for MSVC 7.0 [*], it is just the test that fails.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo

[*] It is used, for instance, inside B.MI serialization code, which works
for MSVC 7.0.