From: Robert Goldwein (robert.goldwein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-05 12:47:06

Dear Johan,

thanks for your reply - so you surely know about bioinformatics frameworks for Perl or Python, and I miss something good in C++ (I found several bioinformatics projects, or FASTA and BLAST implementations, but my idea is a general multipurpose library).

You are right, problems like gene prediction or algorithms like BLAST are quite specific, but it all uses general string algorithms. Maybe it would be wiser to divide it into some advanced string library and specialized bioinformatics library, but on the other hand, those string algorithms can be optimized specifically for our specific conditions (triplets, limited set of characters, etc.)... In about a month I should have some sketch, so I'll let you know.

Thanks for encouraging words,
Robert