From: me22 (me22.ca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-06 09:51:57

On 12/6/06, Jarrad Waterloo <jwaterloo_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >I'm not convinced.
> >First of all, std::map is nothing special. Why not unordered_map? It
> would be probably better to provide a dedicated helper function that
> takes the map and build the string from it.
> >Second, some servers don't expect key=value pairs, there might be
> something entirely different (for example, SQLite3 expects just a filename).
>
> Std::map was just an example.
> Whether it is map, unordered_map, vector of name value tuples, it is all the
> same to me as an object oriented consistent approach to access and build the
> parameters for a session. This could even be a helper class though I would
> imagine that the api layer itself might like it in a structured approach so
> that it wouldn't have to parse it in order to format it correctly. Then
> again I am a user and not library implementer and just looking for this
> functionality which is also commonly found in ODBC?,OLEDB,ADO,JDBC and
> ADO.NET.

Why not an input iterator range? You could fairly easily check if the
value_type was a pair and convert stream into the string as name=value
in that case (maybe not including the = if the value's string is
empty) or just stream it straight into the string with spaces between
if it's not a pair.

I suppose an arbitrary container would also work.

~ Scott