From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-06 10:26:37

Johan Råde wrote:

> Now all tests have passed, even without -ieee.

Great.

> Your processor is a bit odd!
> It does not have denorms, inifinity and NaN,
> except that long double does have denorms.
> (Look at min/2 and min/256 in the output from the inspect tool.)

It might be the case the the compiler has something to do with this, but I
can't say for sure.

> std::numeric_limits incorrectly states
> that long double does not have denorms.
> Fortunately my library does not use std::numeric_limits.

IIRC, the Alpha architecture was designed for maximum floating point speed,
sacrifying some of the more exotic IEEE math features. Therefore the
hardware has always relied on compiler and library help if you needed
really correct IEEE math. (There were even Alpha CPUs with no floating
point instructions at all, just floating point registers. All the FP math
was done in software.)

> I think now we are done.
> The current version (v.20) may very well become the final version.
>
> Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

Markus