From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-10 11:22:41

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> writes:

> With respect to
> http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/more/separate_compilation.html,
> I note that:
>
> * It needs to be updated for BBv2
>
> * It has a rationale section called "Why static linking by default?"
> but that's the first mention of static linking in the document. Is
> there a section missing?

I now see from reading between the lines that if we follow the
prescription in this file, auto-linking will be disabled unless

        BOOST_MYLIB_DYN_LINK

is #defined. However, it doesn't say whether BOOST_MYLIB_DYN_LINK
should be #defined by default. I think this should be clarified.

More to the point, I question our choice of *not* auto-linking by
default.

The latest "Getting Started" guide describes how selecting the right
library to link with can be problematic, and how auto-linking relieves
most of that burden. It seems misguided to ask newbie users to add
BOOST_ALL_DYN_LINK (or something) to the command-line when they want
the convenience of auto-linking just so that people writing real
applications will get their usual preference for static or dynamic
linking without adding -D to the command line. I think the latter
group can be assumed to be more sophisticated and better able to
handle a tiny bit of complexity in the build configuration. I
strongly favor making things as easy as possible for the newbie.

Comments?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting