From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-12 09:30:26

----Original Message----
From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of David Abrahams
Sent: 12 December 2006 13:53 To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] Attention Boosters

> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>>> You can review the guide at
>>> http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/more/getting_started.html.
>>
>> C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_34_0> bjam \
>> --build-dir=%TEMP%\build-boost \
>> --toolset=msvc stage
>>
>> is pretty odd. Even if it worked, and it doesn't,
>
> What's wrong with it, please?

\ does not escape a newline for the Windows XP command prompt (I can't
remember about COMMAND.COM).
If the user types everything after the > to the command prompt, she will
invoke bjam with a single argument of a literal backslash, and then
attempt to invoke a program called --build-dir (which will, probably,
fail).

Note that \ also doesn't escape a newline within a batch file.

A little experimentation suggests that you need:
C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_34_0> bjam ^
More? --build-dir=%TEMP%\build-boost ^
More? --toolset=msvc stage

It will fit within your 65 character limit with:
C:\Program Files\boost\boost_1_34_0> bjam ^
More? --build-dir=%TEMP%\build-boost --toolset=msvc stage

--
Martin Bonner
Pi Technology, Milton Hall, Ely Rd, Cambridge, CB24 6WZ, ENGLAND