From: Satoshi Fujimoto (fujim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-12 23:47:24

Thanks for the comment.

> If the problem they
> have is that they neeed some sort of parser, telling them to start with
> boost::timer is just wasting their time.
Yes. I agree, and that's not my point.

> By the time people get here, they have already
> decided they want to use a particular library (or libraries), and just
> want to know how to get past all the tedium of getting the libraries and
> includes in the right place. (Remember this was the point of the
> original "Hello World" - it's a trivial program, but getting it to
> compile and execute is/was non-trivial.)
I understand your point.
But is this the document for people who "already" decided
to use boost? No. I dont think so.

David Abraham said at the first post as follows;
> The quality of this crucial document shapes our users' first
> experiences with Boost, and for many, determines whether they use
> Boost or give up in frustration.
It means that this document is
not for those who have already decided to use boost, but for
those who wants to know what boost is, or what boost can do, to
decide whether they use boost or not.
So it is not tirvial to show what kind of modules do boost have,
and what kind of functions boost have.

From my personal experience, whenever I found some C++ libraries
that seems useful, I first read "getting started" or else document
to see what can be done. Not how to compile build, etc.
And current boost web site do not have this kind pointers like
what I said in the last e-mail.
> for C++ beginners, try shared_ptr, boost::timer, etc
> for those interested in functional programming, see function, bind....
> for those interested in numerical programming, see random, uBLAS
> and so on and on.

Hope this help.

--
Satoshi Fujimoto <fujim_at_[hidden]>