From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-13 14:35:49

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but this message caught my
attention and I decided to ask: why do you need any statics/globals for the
serialization?

I understand that you need global class registration to handle the case of
reading a base pointer when the stream contains derived object, but when you
serialize data you just assume that all classes have been registered ahead
of time. Because you don't need mutable access to the class registration
table, you don't have thread safety problems.

The other piece of data that I can think of is the table that tracks which
objects have already been serialized so that when you serialize a second
pointer that points to the same object you don't serialize the object again,
however this table has to be per-stream because I may have multiple opened
streams that I'm reading from. Assuming you don't access the same stream
from multiple threads, I see no thread safety problems here either.

Am I missing something?