From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-15 14:37:12

On 12/15/06, Gennadiy Rozental <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [snipped]

> >> Let's say you have record with 10 optional elements. tuple based solution
> >> will end up compiling in anything from 1 to 10! different versions of the
> >> same function, while offline version will be only one. Also in case if
> >> you
> >> always want output in the same 10 column format I dont see easy way to
> >> implement it using tuples.
> >
> > We can take an arbitrary Fusion tuple and iterate it. Why should we be
> > limited to a fixed number of elements?!
> >
> > Also, only the templates that really get instantiated end up in the binary
>
> So if I have 100 different calls to the output function I will endup with
> 100 different instantiations instantiation, right? And even in case of
> inlining my code size would be 100 times more?

I believe that most tuple functions when inlined should occuppy almost
the same as a function call, so I dont belive your estimative would be
correct. With register allocation playing right, there would be less,
or none, need to save registers and the results being used directly
too, the whole using function could be even smaller when using the
inlined one.

--
Felipe Magno de Almeida