From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-15 19:26:23

On 12/15/06, Gennadiy Rozental <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [snipped]

> > I believe that most tuple functions when inlined should occuppy almost
> > the same as a function call, so I dont belive your estimative would be
> > correct. With register allocation playing right, there would be less,
> > or none, need to save registers and the results being used directly
> > too, the whole using function could be even smaller when using the
> > inlined one.
>
> It's possible. Still there code size will be significantly bigger in
> comparison with offline implementation, right?

Probably the other way around. The compiler would have to emit code to
make the function call (pass arguments, make the call machine code,
reallocate the return value in another register). And *that* code
would be bigger than using the inlined version of tuples, which
wouldnt need to call anything, just access the value directly. And if
possibilities to optimize away other instructions through the possible
optimizations that inlining offers.

> Gennadiy

Best regards,

--