From: Oliver.Kowalke_at_[hidden]
Date: 2006-12-18 06:36:48

From: Vladimir Prus

> > From: Martin Bonner
> >
> >> From: Oliver.Kowalke_at_[hidden]
> >> is avaliable
> >>
> >> Autoconfig can check if strerror_r is available ON THE
> BUILD MACHINE.
> >> It CANNOT tell whether it will be available on the target machines.
> >
> > It is you fault if you distribute a software to an platform
> for which
> > it wasn't build.
> > If build and target machine have the same os version and
> release then
> > the system calls should be the same.
>
> And why do you think that build and target machine should
> have the same os version and release?

Because some system calls differ between the OS's and/or between
releases.
In this case the problem was that strerror_r is avaliable on LINUX and
on Solaris 2.8 not.
But Solaris 2.8 (and even HP/UX 11.11) provide an threadsafe strerror
function.
If I think on the BSD socket library - differences in the function flags
and the behaviour
Are common (even between releases).

> It's quite reasonable
> to build things on operating system X version N and have it
> run on operating system Y version M.
> Compiler running on Linux and producing binaries for Windows
> is a common beast.

I think this is not true:
UNIX : socket().
WIN: WSASocket()