From: Austin Bingham (abingham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-12-18 09:31:13

> I'm afraid I don't follow. What do you mean by a time series
> "discretized on range"?

This is a bit of me thinking out loud, so I apologize. In some
time-series for physical processes (i.e. radar returns) it is
sometimes easier or more natural to think about things in terms
of range rather than time, although both are directly correlated
and effectively interchangeable. So the notion was that I could
choose a discretization value that represented some distance
rather than some amount of time.

The more I understand your library, however, the more I see how
this really would break a lot of things. I think my thinking
really just comes from years of using matrix and vector classes
which didn't force me to think purely in terms of time.

> clip() does *not* copy the data. It returns a clipped view. If you want
> to copy the data, you should assign the clipped view to another series.

OK, I see that in your documentation now. I had based my
assumptions on this:

   http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/libs/time_series/doc/html/boost/time_series/clip.html

which doesn't mention views or non-copying. I figured those features
would be mentioned if they were being used.

--
Austin Bingham
Signal & Information Sciences Laboratory